Light, fluffy, each individual grain cooked al dente- not too moist or mushy- perfect:
1. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil
2. Rinse desired amount of (uncooked) brown rice under running water for a few seconds.
3. Add rice to boiling water, stir well, turn heat to medium and boil uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
4. Pour rice into a fine strainer and let drain for a few seconds.
5. Return rice to original pot which should still be hot and dry. Cover. Let steam 10 minutes off the heat.
6. Uncover and gently fluff with a fork.
-ratio of rice to water must be at least 1:5
-rinsing uncooked rice under water before cooking rids the grains of any excess starch (which contributes to that unwanted sticky/mushy result)- no matter how you cook your rice, I recommend rinsing it first.
-to bring water to a boil twice as fast, cover the pot with a lid